Re: [OM] What happened?

Subject: Re: [OM] What happened?
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:24:51 -0800
Mary Asberry wrote:

>> So THAT'S it??????  Sure is a strange happening when you're used to
>> 30-40 messages + a day on this list!  Is this how lists disappear?

Giles Stewart replied:

>I asked Shawn and he said poor old Zuiko was either subjected to a SYN
>flood - whatever that is - or thought it was and so shut down partially
>as a protective measure.

I believe the problem was far more widespread than this, and the poor
old Zuiko (POZ ? :-)) is not to blame.

It appears that entire chunks of the net were down for something like
18 hours, and although some of the net capacity is back on line, the
bandwidth is still far from normal, at least at _my_ end (for instance,
try to access eB*y, and you'll see what I mean).

The likely culprit is the extreme heat on the East Coast of the U.S.,
which probably caused several major net traffic nodes to "hiccup".
I'm surprised that this situation hasn't made any headlines.  Hmmm,
must be some kind of a media conspiracy... :-)

Of course, there is always an alternative explanation -- that POZ
is not really a machine, but rather a new species, with artificial
intelligence and _feelings_.

Hence, it is quite possible that it (the POZ) was so distraught by
Ken Norton's imminent departure from the OLY list, so overcome with
feelings of abandonment and betrayal, that the POZ simply shut down
for a while, went to its (bed)room to sulk and sob, and as usual,
for the next 24 hours no one got any sex... uhm, woops! wrong story!
I meant: no one got any messages through to the OLY list.  :-) :-)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, California, USA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx