Re: [OM] Brainstorm--SC vs MC

Subject: Re: [OM] Brainstorm--SC vs MC
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 13:03:09 +0000
Another brainstorm related to SC vs MC and why the MC lenses tend to
reflect green light.

>From Ken Norton's reply to my extension tube query:
>Fortunately, these lenses are pretty resiliant to fungus and fingerprints.
>Just got to watch for the occasional spider.

The strobe went off on *why* the MC lenses tend to reflect green.  They
have spiders inside them.  Spiders' compound eyes reflect green when a
pinpoint source of light is reflected from them.  All garden variety
insects I have observed (spiders are technically arachnids) reflect yellow
under the same circumstances.  Therefore, SC lenses have your ordinary,
garden variety insects in them.  The extra you pay for is the trapping and
enclosure of spiders versus finding any old insect to enclose.

If there is an entymologist amongst us he/she can verify this reflection
pheonomenon.  If not, and you really want to prove it for yourself, send a
query off-line and I will tell you how to do it.

This could also explain the anomolous observations of alleged MC lenses
that do not show green reflections:  the spider either died or escaped somehow.

So . . . if you are doing macros of spiders using your favorite ring flash,
you need to be prepared for "green-eye" ("yellow-eye" on insects) versus
the human "red-eye."

-- John