RE: [OM] Extension tubes?

Subject: RE: [OM] Extension tubes?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 00:36:06 +0000
On Topic (WOW!):

I just picked up a Vivitar extension tube set (with case; for a very low
price):  12mm, 20mm, and 36mm.  The guy who sold them to me thought they
were manual tubes for some reason.

I have never used extension tubes before.  Only the 36mm actually states it
is automatic ("AT-21 Automatic Extension Tube" printed on side).  The other
two shorter ones only have the Vivitar name on them and their length.
However, the other two have the levers and seem to behave the same as the
one marked automatic.  If these three are all automatic I really did get a
good deal.

What is the difference between an Auto and a Manual tube?  Does this refer to:
1.  automatically stopping down the lens when the shutter is released?
2.  operating the lever that senses what stop the lens is set to for the
metering?
3.  both of the above?
4.  none of the above and something else entirely?

[There is no green reflection so they are probably not MC tubes.  In fact
there is no color reflection whatsoever so they're not likely SC either.
NC?  (No Coating?)]

Thanks,
-- John