Re: [OM] Bulb?

Subject: Re: [OM] Bulb?
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 05:54:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Jeff Borenstein wrote:

> Do you recommend using the Auto mode and let the camera do all the hard
> work?  Do any type of shots need > 2 mins??  Say I want a nice night scene
> with a 5.6 aperture, 100 or 200 speed lens of a busy street corner and i
> want some of the cars to look blury..Will the Auto mode do this?  How am i
> going to know how long to keep the shutter open for if I do manual with Bulb
> and a external shutter release?  Can someone please enlighten me?

  Here's free enlightenment: PRACTICE ! You have three weeks ? Go with
your tripod and burn up a few rolls of film at night (of the same type
 you'll be taking with you) right where you live. Try some on auto,
and some using the recommended night settings printed on the inside
of the box. Oh, and don't forget, bracket like hell (BLH) for
night shots, specially on slide film. The contrast ratios are
usually huge. Oh, yeah, you want an exposure setting...Okay,
for ISO 100, in a "brightly lit night scene" I'd start at f/5.6 @ 1/4th
sec. and BRACKET on either side of that...plus if you're carrying an OM
with spot metering...use it. But for God's sakez do not wait until you're
on location to TEST your skill at this. Try it at home first.
Oh, yeah, the cars will be blurry...
                                      *= Doris Fang =*