Re: [OM] OM-2s flash only fires in manual/spot mode?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2s flash only fires in manual/spot mode?
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 16:24:33 EDT
hldevo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Does anyone have any idea as to why my recently acquired OM-2s won't
>  trigger a flash (via pc socket or hotshoe) unless it's in Manual/Spot mode?
>   I tried it with a Vivitar 4600 with an Olympus dedicated module (tried on
>  the hotshoe) and a Vivitar 283 (tried on the hotshoe and with a pc cord).
>
>  I'm assuming that with the Vivitar 4600 and the OM dedicated module, the
>  camera's shutter speed should automatically be set at 1/60 in both Program
>  and Auto mode when the flash is fully charged.  However, that is not the
>  case.  This could be a problem with the OM module which I also recently
>  bought 2nd hand but I doubt it since the flash fails to fire unless it's in
>  Manual/Spot with both the 4600 and 283.
>
>  If anyone has experienced this problem, was it repairable (i.e. parts still
>  available) and if so, was it expensive?  Thanks!
>  ___________
>  Regards,
>
>  Henry -----> hldevo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On the OM-2S if you are using auto mode you need to make sure that the
shutter speed indicated in the find is 1/60 or slower, otherwise the flash
will not fire. I usually make sure the meter reads about 1/30 or slower, to
give some leeway. If your reading is too close to 1/60 ambient light may be
too bright and the flash won't fire. If the reading is well below 1/60 the
shutter will close with a speed of 1/60 This applies for a TTL dedicated
flash, like a T series Olympus or your 4600.

For a non dedicated flash, like the 283, you want to set the OM-2S to manual
mode. TTL doesn't work anyway.

I'm not sure if the OM-2S will even fire a flash from the PC socket in auto
mode. I'm not sure there is any reason for it too. I 've never tried with
mine.

Paul Schings
Coventry, Rhode Island USA