[OM] Tamron 90mm Macros

Subject: [OM] Tamron 90mm Macros
From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 13:20:51 -0500
There are really three Tamron Macros to chose from:

1. old 1:2 / 2.5/90 mm with 49 mm thread,  metal, with nicely engraved numbers
disadvantage:  heavy, no exterior bayonet for lens hood

2. more recent 1:2 / 2.5/90mm w/ 55mm filter thread, plastic, with
silk-screened numbers and bayonet lens hood.

3. new 1:1/2.8/90mm Macro with 55 mm thread and large rigid bayonet lens
hood (very nice!).  This lens seems all plastic, fairly light weight with
silkscreened numbers.

All three have an excellent optical reputation.  I have been using the 3rd
version for 2 years now and like it quite a bit.
The focussing helicoid is very short for the distances between 1 m and
infinity which makes for very touchy focussing.  Probably a function of the
enormous helicoid reach to 1:1.  Very bright viewfinder snaps into focus
with the new (2-series) screen in my OM4. Going from infinity to life size
of a butterfly or beetle in the field is a wonderful convenience.
Jan

======
Chris,
  I have the 90mm f2.5 (49mm ver).  It is the one that Gary tested and
should be in the lens tests.  I am extremely pleased with it and would
put it up against most any lens around.
Rand E.
=========