Re: [OM] OM-4T Flash Ready Light

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4T Flash Ready Light
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 16:57:14 -0500
At 03:54 PM 6/1/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I've got an OM-4T that I purchased used, and I've noticed a problem (?) with
>the flash ready light. When the flash is on the camera (T20 or F280), the
>light performs normally. When I use a cord to move the flash off camera (TTL
>F0.6m for F280 or shoe extension for T20), the flash ready light in the
>camera does not come on when the one on the back of the flash does. Both
>flashes work properly, the light just doesn't come on. There aren't any
>breaks in the cords (I've tested them) and shoe extension cord lights up the
>light in my OM-1n and OM-10. Is there a problem with the flash ready light
>in my OM-4T? or does if just work that way? It doesn't seem to me to be
>right.
>
>-Chris Riek

Chris,

I have this problem regularly in using a Duo-Sync cord with my OM-2S (which
has a similar shoe to the 4T). The contact for the internal ready light is
not footed quite tight enough in the shoe. I can wiggle it for a while and
eventually get a contact. Similarly, the Sunpak 433D would cut out when I
would switch from horizontals to verticals, but I was able to fix this by
building up a very thin epoxy shim on the upper deck of the business end of
the flash (the part that slides into the shoe). The older shoes were
somewhat more positive than the built-on shoes of the OM-2S/4T.  Since your
flashes work mounted directly in the shoe, mostly likely nothing is
actually "wrong".

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA