Re: [OM] Olympus POL filter linear?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus POL filter linear?
From: dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 14:34:53 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:20, "Tom Trottier" <infoanim@xxxxxx> wrote:
>It's easy to tell when a polariser is "circular."

>Looking thru it from the lens' viewpoint, rotating the filter will
>enhance/reduce reflections from glass, water, etc.

>Looking thru it from the subject's viewpoint, there is no effect from
>rotating the filter.

This is interesting.  I have both a linear and a circular polarizer
(which I picked up for $2.00 at a flea market).  If I stack the
linear polarizer on top of the circular one, there is a noticeable
shift from light to dark as I rotate the linear filter (looking
from the subjest's viewpoint through both filters).

However, if I stack the circular one on top of the linear, there is
no change when I rotate the circular filter or the linear filter
(again, looking from the subject's viewpoint through the filters).
I'll have to try looking through them from the lens' viewpoint next
time to see what the effect is.
        -Dan