Re: [OM] Equipment case

Subject: Re: [OM] Equipment case
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 10:57:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Olaf Greve wrote:

> Roughly, the following is what I'm looking for:
> -Enough space to store either of the following options:
> Option 1: OM-4Ti (incl. databack 4), 35-70/4, 65-200/4, 24/2.8, 35/2.8
> shift, 1 or 2 filters, up to 6 rolls of film.
> Option 2: Same as option 1, plus: small (light!) tripod, cable release,
> F280.
> Option 3: Same as option 2, plus: 300/4.5, OM-40.
> Option 4: Same as option 3, plus space for gear not yet acquired, like e.g.
> 500/8 reflex, macro gear.
> -Low profile bag, i.e. preferrably it should be cloaked so it won't attract
> potential thieves' attention too quickly, in other words, I'd prefer it not
> to have any camera brand names on it.

For increased stealth factor, buy a medium-to-small (which should fit what
your Option 1/2 requires subtle photo backpack, like the small Tenbas  and
sew a patch over the name (get a patch at a record, rollerblade etc.
store). Get a black one, and get it dirty, yes, with real dirt.
 Backpacks being kinda planar in nature can be "planned" for
by laying our your stuff on a piece of posterboard, and keep changing the
configuration until the stuff is to your liking, and that will give you an
idea of the total size pack needed. Of course, the best option is to
befriend your camera store dealer and take your stuff there. It is the
only way to really gauge the usefulness of a camera bag/pack.

> -Easily accessible and/or comfortable to carry around (what are opinions on
> backpacks vs. shoulderbags?).

   For me, it depends on how often I'll be needing access to the hardware.
If a lot, then I'll choose a bag. If little, then the backpack. It's a
bit of a pain with the latter. Also, backpacks are HOT to carry, as in
they'll make it harder for your body to dissipate heat. Nice in winter,
evil in summer. The heavier the backpack, the better quality you will
need to buy. Many friends of mine have had perfectly good results
by cutting a big piece of closed-cell foam to fit their existing non-
photo backpacks and then cutting the blosk to fit their stuff. Cheap
and very stealthy.

> -Comfortable and durable material, which protects the gear really well.
> -Preferrably lightweight.
> -Preferrably economically priced.

  Hahahahahhahahaaaa....Any of the major bag/pack makers fit the above
two requirements. Tamrac, Tenba, Domke, Lowe-Pro & F64 all make 1st rate
bags & packs. Billingham has the best rep, but it screams "Steal me".
ALL photobags do, though. In that sense, the backpack is stealthier.

> Finally, I remember having seen the Lowepro brand being mentioned quite
> often, is this the preferred brand?

  It's a great one, but the others I listed are of equal quality.
Olaf didn't say whether this was for urban or wilderness use (or both),
but I have nothing but good to say about my Lowe-Pro Orion Trekker, which
is a 2-level backpack, with a large single compartment in the top area,
and what amounts to a big waist-pack at the bottom. It could easily
handle your 1-2 options, though you might have to use some Domke Wraps
to protect stuff in the upper compartment. I like it because it lets you
carry a lot of stuff, plus a jacket, water, lunch, etc.

                                  *= Doris Fang =*