Re: [OM] 72mm Samigon UV-Haze vs. Tiffen Skylight 1-A: which one to keep

Subject: Re: [OM] 72mm Samigon UV-Haze vs. Tiffen Skylight 1-A: which one to keep?
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 23:36:44 EDT
John writes:

> Although we cannot see it, film is sensitive to UV which will create a
slight haze in
>  the photograph and reduce its contrast.

Modern color films have a UV inhibiting layer in the emulsion.  I personally
wonder if a UV filter does anything that the UV layer doesn't already do.

>  The Skylight is most useful for slight color correction when
>  the subject is in the shade illuminated by the light from a blue sky (north
>  side of a building in the shade of the building), or under an overcast sky,
>  but not illuminated by direct sunlight.

Years ago I tested a wide variety of warming filters in order to get correct
color balance in landscapes of sky lighted scenes.  It takes a real strong
filtration to correct the cold color temperatures of skylight (above 10,000
degrees Kelvin is my recollection)!  In my testing, one needed stronger than
a 81EF filter.  The Skylight filter was barely perceptable as a warming
filter.

In practice, totally shaded landscapes often aren't attractive
photographically, based on poor lighting alone.  I often had to do photo
documentation of north-facing cliffs, so at least I wanted something in the
ballpark, color-wise.  (My slide shows would mix sunlight and shade shots, so
the differences in color balance were quite noticable without proper
filtration).  Now that I'm not doing much in photo documentation landscapes,
I find I often don't filter shaded scenes.  Rather, I use Velvia.  Gives it
the warming punch of a 81B, although no where near as strong as a 81EF.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV