RE: [OM] Is Contax the future?

Subject: RE: [OM] Is Contax the future?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 20:01:14 +0000
At 21:09 5/28/99 , Jerry wrote:
>What's a Contax?

I've chuckled at some of the replies . . . but to answer Jerry's question
more seriously (Olympus content at the end):

Contax is the name originally used by Zeiss Ikon (part of the Zeiss
Foundation but *not* to be confused with Carl Zeiss, a different piece of
the foundation) beginning in 1932 (Contax I) for its top-of-the-line 35mm
camera . . . designed specifically to compete with the first Leica's
originally marketed in the late 1920's (the original developer of 35mm
format).  The original pre-war I, II and III . . . and the post-war IIa and
IIIa were all rangfinders with bayonet lens mounts, vertical travel *metal*
focal plane shutters, and a top shutter speed of 1/1250th.  In their day
they were professional grade cameras with world class lenses (all made by
Carl Zeiss of course) and the bodies were not only easier to use than the
Leica screwmount rangefinders, they were well ahead of their time compared
to nearly anything anyone else had on the market.

By some time in the late 1960's Zeiss Ikon was taking a real beating from
the Japanese (NCMP and Olympus) and was not surviving in a niche like Leica
managed to.  Zeiss Ikon was eventually folded up by the parent foundation,
some portions of which (or at least the rights) were sold to other camera
manufacturers.  In the early 1970's, the Zeiss entered into an agreement
with Yashica (now Kyocera) which licenses Yashica to make the bodies using
the Contax name and Carl Zeiss making the lenses.  This arrangement
continues today.

So . . . what is a Contax?  There are two lines:  the rangefinders and the
SLR's.  They are *very* expensive, have a niche market, and are still
considered world class.  IMO credit should be given, however, to Leica and
Zeiss Ikon (Contax) for developing the "Rolls Royce's" of 35mm format and
establishing it as a viable still camera film format, and then to Argus (of
all people) for developing the "Ford Model A" in the format with its "C"
series a few years later.  Argus got millions of 35mm cameras into the
hands of Everyman and truly solidfied the 35mm film demand.  Kodak has been
trying to repeat this every 10 years or so with something new (828, 126,
110, and disc). . . and has yet to succeed . . . its latest forray (and
perhaps best attempt yet) being the 24mm APS.

Now for the Olympus content:
IMHO my OM-4 and Zuiko lenses are exceptional performers.  I have a 1954
Zeiss Ikon Contax IIIa "Color Dial" (X-Sync version) with a 50mm f/1.5 Carl
Zeiss Sonnar and use it as a reminder of what photography was like 50-70
years ago.  It holds its own with the 50mm f/1.2 Zuiko on the OM-4 which I
use more often.  Would I buy a *new* Contax today . . . no.  They are far
too expensive, mostly marketed on the legendary name and history.  Compared
to the NCMP stuff, staying with the Oly gear has proven to be just as good,
if not better, for what I shoot and gives a much bigger "bang for the buck."

-- John