Re: [OM] A Zukiholic with a new film scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] A Zukiholic with a new film scanner
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 00:36:33 -0500
On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 08:32:55PM -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:
> Woa, I REALLY don't want to get into a big OT argument here, but several
> people have provided a half-dozen or so different platforms that work well
> with Minolta scanners, and you provide one example that doesn't seem to
> work, and that somehow extrapolates to "overwhelming majority?"

The last time the subject came up on rec.photo.digital, the comments from
folks who had trouble far outweighed those who had none with non-Adaptec
controllers. Of the platforms mentioned here, most are known to use Adaptec
controller ICs (which they do sell to OEMs), and the rest probably do as
well.

> Look, I understand you have a beef with Minolta, and it really should work
> with your SCSI card, but lots of people are using it successfully with a
> variety of SCSI cards. I'm sorry it doesn't work for you, but that doesn't
> make it crap!

SCSI peripherals should work with any SCSI controller, period. It's
extremely unusual for an incompatibility to even show up, which is what
caught my attention in the first place.

Before very much longer, I may find myself changing jobs, and becoming
intimately familiar with the low-level details of SCSI; when I do, I'll try
the combination of scanner and controller that failed, just to educate
myself on why. (The hardest part of this will likely be getting the scanner
in the building.)

I'm glad you're happy with your Minolta. Once my dad popped for an Adaptec
controller, he got a lot happier with his. None of this changes my opinion
of Minolta's SCSI implementation one tiny little bit. I'll never buy a
Minolta scanner, nor will I ever recommend that anyone else do anything but
stay far away from them, until their attitude that they only have to make
their stuff work with Adaptec controllers changes. That attitude is a red
flag to me that they're only doing what they have to to squeak by, and
that's a recipe for headaches. Computing in general, and photographic
imaging and the digital darkroom in particular, are hard enough without
adding in totally gratuitous incompatibilities.