Re: [OM] OT about punching up colors

Subject: Re: [OM] OT about punching up colors
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 21:58:36 +0000
GMA was right - shoot on Fuji Velvia or another high colour saturation slide
film
and print on Ilfochrome Classic paper.  However, this is not exactly a cheap
way of
doing things but it does produce the best results you are likely to see
(barring
exotic unaffordable technologies).

To get vibrant colour affordably use Fuji Reala (iso 100) film.  I think of
this
emulsion as a slide film masquerading as a print film.

For even greater colour saturation you could try Agfa Ultra (iso 50).  I have
only
tried this film once as I had great trouble when it came to printing.  There
was too
much colour saturation and it was skewed in favour of orange/red.  I had a very
cooperative processor who tried numerous colour settings on the machine but we
could
find no setting which would give a pleasing believable result.  When one
setting was
altered to try and get a particular colour to look right another would look
wrong.
A pro lab might be able to do wonders printing from ultra but that would become
expensive.

Both Ulta and Reala are very fine grain films.  Under a 30x loupe Reala seems
have finer grain than Ultra!

Giles