[OM] getting out while the "getting" is good?

Subject: [OM] getting out while the "getting" is good?
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 19:56:21 -0700
I was told few years ago by some of the people who work for Olympus that
the company uses an international inventory system to control
distribution.  They usually would make production runs periodically to
maintain supply of particular pieces of the famous 300 component OM
system.  Occassionally an item would be discontinued for various
reasons.
Sometimes new items would replace older items as in the case of items
like winder 1's being replace by winder 2's ect.  However a minimum need
must have been there in order a new production run from the factories in
Japan.  A few of the pieces in the OM system were interchangable with
other systems such as microscope bodies & lenses.  However not much
interchanability.

As the world economy started causing shift in values of dollars to yen
in the 1980s many large camera distribution companies began "grey
marketing" inventory to take advantage of the currency exchanges.  This
caused many problems in the international distribution system.  By the
late 1990's most of the problems were overcome.  However as a result
newer inventories were being priced "internationally" causing many
cameras to to go way up in price as compared to inflation.  Many
believed that there would be a smaller demand at these newer prices.
Therefore fewer inventories were produced creating a "self fullfilling
prophecy thing".  As a result we have seen much higher prices for
certain optic goods with a relatively smaller supply.  Traditionally a
professional quality medium format system cost several times that of its
lowly 35mm cousin.  This is no longer the case.  Medium format systems
are relatively unchanged in prices to inflation.  So go figure.  As to
the future?  Who knows?  Historically there was a glut of the OM system
products in the 1980's through out the very early 1990's.  Now there is
a shortage.
That does not mean Olympus has abanadoned this product line.  I think
they are as confused about the market for these goods as we Zukiholics
are.

Phillip Franklin