[OM] getting out while the "getting" is good?

Subject: [OM] getting out while the "getting" is good?
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 16:52:43 -0700
"I'm in the process of selling off my OM kit, and in my case the reasons are
very simple and from the viewpoint of a user, NOT a collector.

1...very few new lens designs & no new bodies for many years.
2...rising prices of both new & used equipment.
3...I don't want to be left with a system nobody wants when Olympus pull the
plug on a once great system."

It seems that Olympus will -- must -- eventually kill the OM system. Your logic
is impeccable -- except for one thing.

A discontinuance will cause an immediate _increase_ in demand for new lenses,
and when they've disappeared from the shelves, used lenses. This will continue
for several years, until, as cameras break down and can't be fixed, people
switch to other systems. At that point, prices will begin to fall.

Unless you absolutely need the money now, WAIT. Wait until Olympus discontinues
the OM system, then reap a windfall.

Who knows, we might get lucky. Olympus might hang onto the OM system for another
decade.