RE: [OM] Age Data

Subject: RE: [OM] Age Data
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 21:40:14 -0400
Ok, my turn.
I think this is important, because it helps us to know who/what we're
dealing with and be more "family".  Besides, everyone needs to tell their
story.
I started in photography in high school on the yearbook.  Our school was
small ( I graduated 10th in my class). The only camera we had was a Kodak
814.  I decide it stunk and went to the count set where the Daily News was
located.  I convinced them to give me a job as a photographer (so I could
get a better camera for the school).  Ended up with a Baby Rollei 4x4.  That
summer was offered a job on the paper.
That fall I went off to college and became the school newspaper photographer
as well as the yearbook photographer (paid my way through school). For the
newspaper I used Mamiya 330's (try football games with a 180mm and a
waistlevel finder!  For the yearbook I bought my first camera, a used
Miranda DR. Somehow in all that was a Biology major (that somehow becomes
important).  I guess in all this I learned much more about documentary
photography than artistic photography.  But somehow, I've won a few contests
and cameras.
After college, I bought Nikon and Nikkormat's and that awful 43-86 lens as
well as a couple of Tamron's.  Then a kid started coming along.  My wife
stated that she liked photography (she's artistic) and hated the Nikon's
because of the weight.  I agreed with her on the spot (always a wise move)
and told her about the new Olympus camera that had just been introduced
(this was 1973).  We made a trip to the store, traded in our Nikons, our
Olympus RC and SP and bought 2 OM-1's, a 50 3.5 macro, a 50 1.4 , 35 2.8,
and a 70-150.  Haven't looked back.  Sold my OM-1 and 70-150 to my brother
and bought an OM-2.
For 5 years, I got to pursue my hobby when I worked for Ponder and Best
(eventually became Vivitar). Sold Vivitar and Olympus (what a dream).
Bought a few more lenses and ALL the macro stuff for bellows (Leiberkuhn and
all)  Have the 38 macro, the first one.
But 3 kids of our own and 6 foster kids didn't leave much time for
photography, especially with 3 moves and 2 companies going out of business,
or nearly so.  So, for about 10 years, it was put away the serious stuff and
use a P&S.  Somewhere in all this, OM-2S, OM-4and OM3's came and went, and I
didn't even know it!
But finally, a kid says "I'd like a camera for my birthday".  Off to the
store I went, came back with an OM-PC with a 50 1.8 and T20 for him (had to
ask what it was) and an OM-2S for me.  Damn things ate batteries for
breakfast...(until I found this group and 357 batteries)
Then last summer, my wife (who's a minister) announces we're going to lead a
trip to the Holy Land.  I'm thinking I'll probably get shot, but if I'
going, I'm going to enjoy dying.  Found eBay, this group, and now own an
OM-2S, 3 OM-4's a 4Ti and a Stylus 38-140 DLX.  Lenses-24 2.5 Tamron, 28 2.0
Vivitar,90 2.5 Vivitar Series 1 Macro, 501.8, 50 1.4, 19-35 Phoenix, 28-200
Tamron, 350 5.6 Tamron mirror, 400 and 600 Novoflex and my 38mm bellows
macro.  Oh yea, just bought a 70-210 Tamron autofocus today for $10 (had to
try it out).  I love macro and close up, even had an Olympus trinocular
biological microscope for a while.  I love to experiment and will try about
anything once.
I sold my brother my OM-2 this spring along with my Vivitar 200 3.0 and he
gave me back my old OM-1!  It's nice to have it back.
Bought my kids each an OM-10 for Christmas with a 50 1.8, 28 and 70-xxx
zoom.  Figured I'd catch them with OM, hope they stay with it.
Have about 6 different flash units all dedicated for OM.  Extension rings,
tubes, etc. up the wazoo!  (that's an old expression Siddig).
I'm 52.8 years old.  For a living I'm called a Safety Products Manager.  I
work with companies showing them how to increase worker safety by using
proper machine guarding.
I've also made a lot of friends in this group.  I've met helpful and
trusting people that have encouraged me to see photography again.  I've been
able to help others and learned a lot in the meantime.  I appreciate Ken
Norton's humor, George S.'s sarcasm and honesty and all the comments from
others.  Who the H*** is DORIS FANG? She's great!  This group is great!
Brian Huber