Re: [OM] Limited OM content

Subject: Re: [OM] Limited OM content
From: dhurley@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 22:56:22 -0500
On Sun, 23 May 1999 11:24:48 -0400 "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
>The one thing I didn't see that you packed was ear protection.  I hope
>that
>was just an oversight in the list and in fact you did have good ear
>plugs or
>muffs.  Most classes are tolerable, but the upper echelon classes -
>top
>fuel, funny car and pro stock, can, and will, cause hearing damage.

Good point, and I did have ear protection.  I guess I didn't list it
because I didn't have to pack it.  I keep a set of muffs in the shop
hanging on the tractor, also used with the power tools, and another set
resides in my pickup tool box (along with tow chain, jumper cables, three
monopods, two tripods, a shoulder stock, maybe even a few tools)  I also
have a couple of packs of the foam type tucked inside every camera bag
and tool box I own.

>They
>are so loud and voilent your entire body vibrates when they launch.

Yeah, ain't it a wonderful feeling?

>I always take my 20mm to races.  I was once allowed to stand in the
>staging
>area, between the cars at the starting line.  The 20's wide field of
>view
>neatly took in both cars at the very start, front wheels lifting and
>the
>rears churning smoke.  Neat point of view :).  However, the noise is
>unbearable and it is a rather dangerous location.  I've seen cars lose
>it
>and tear out the christmas tree.  No fun.

That was the one place I couldn't get to.   :-(   (I was able to shoot
between the lanes from behind, (watch out for flying rubber chunks)

>Good luck avoiding lawn mowing again......I'm not so fortunate.
>That's next
>for me :(

Oh well, it rained a little last night and I still had to mow part of the
"yard" today.  I was able to cut about 5 acres, the "lowlands" are still
too wet, standing water all over.  The tv weatherman just said no more
rain for the next week, toalk about a bad omen!   :-)

Daryl Hurley