Re: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions???

Subject: Re: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions???
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 13:57:53 EDT
CHAMTOUR reminded me of a small incident I was involved in- It was 1982 and
my cruise ship docked in Cozumel Mexico. We had landed in the town and had a
short walk thru town to board a rickety tour bus to take us to see the Mayan
ruins. Instead of cool air exiting the buses' air condition vents,
cockroaches freely came out, (but I wander- thet's another story) Anyway,
about every block or so in the town along our walking route to get the bus,
the Mexican Army has a soldier stationed in full combat dress in front of a
small outpost type guard house. They are there to keep the tourists from
getting robbed and beaten, or worse from the locals. (Why we Americans insist
on spending our hard earned cash in a country that would just as soon kill us
for our lunch that we were carrying, I'll never figure out). Well, seeing how
the soldier standing at attention in front of the shack seemed like a natural
photo op, I stopped, raised my trusty OM and aimed. He immediately grunted at
me and thrust the business end of his M-16 rifle (which the U.S. Army
probably gave him for free) directly in my face. Sensing this was the
international symbol for "no pictures
gringo " ( I'm pretty smart, you can tell) I lowered the camera and ran to
catch up with the group.  Lesson- Be Careful in Other Worlds.

George S.