RE: [OM] Multi coating optics

Subject: RE: [OM] Multi coating optics
From: "Harridge, Wayne" <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 12:28:58 +0800
Phillip wrote:

> Therefore once again the use of the proper lens with just the right
> characteristics for a given task is more important than state
> of the art
> technology.

Not all of us have the luxury of owning several lenses of the same focal
length with "just the right characteristics" for all possible situations.
Suffice it to say that you can always make a good (high resolution and
contrast) lens look bad (low resolution and contrast) by various means
(diffusion filters, printing techniques, etc.), but rarely can you make the
results of a lens with poor resolution and contrast look like those taken
with a high resolution, high contrast lens.  So if I have the choice of 1
lens of a single focal length, my choice would be for a high resolution,
high contrast example when I can afford it.

> We are mostly artists not technicians.  Correct?

Well, I'm a bit of both - should we take a survey on this ?

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Louvre/6152/