Re: Oggetto: RE: [OM] modification for silver oxide battery

Subject: Re: Oggetto: RE: [OM] modification for silver oxide battery
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 09:31:07 -0500
At 12:35 PM 5/17/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Why to alter the camera body when you can put plastic adaptor for battery
>(sold by olympusguy for example) ande use 1.35 alcaline batery? Or am I
>wrong? thanks Angelo

Hi Angelo,

While it is an alteration, it is a small one and allows one to use 357
(SR44) cells, which should be used in OM-2 and newer camera bodies, so that
most of us have them lying around already.  An alternative (in addition to
the adapter plus PX625 hearing aid battery, which I think you are referring
to) if you don't want to alter the camera by adding the diode is an MR9,
which utilizes a 357 battery.  The zinc-air hearing aid batteries you refer
to are 1.4 volts, which is not the ideal 1.35. Why have an Olympus camera
and not get the voltage right?

John of Camtech does the alteration for $5 above the cost of overhaul when
that service is done, so it's very hard to refuse.  The MR9's are around
$30-40.

I like being able to stick with 357 batteries because they will work well
in my OM-1 (and XA for that matter) when I no longer trust them in my OM-2S.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA