Re: [OM] NG using Oly?

Subject: Re: [OM] NG using Oly?
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 04:51:53 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 14 May 1999, Acer Victoria wrote:

|On Fri, 14 May 1999 Robinsnes@xxxxxxx wrote:
|
|>What difference does that info make? It tells you nothing about how it was
|>bracketed, what filtration was used (ie 81A,B,C or 80A, etc) and is of little
|>value unless there is some type of selective focus used. The only thing of
|>some value might be the type of film used. The rest you can probably guess or
|>at least have fun trying to figure it out!
|       Well, for a relative newbie to SLR photography, it get's
|frustrating after a while trying to figure out how the photo was taken. I
|guess that's actually rather fun. If they had exposire info, that would go
|into my mental database, and can be referred to when in a similar
|situation. Of course, the better way to enter data in that d/base would be
|to experiment, which is what I am currently doing :-)

I guess what Roger was getting at is that it is usually relatively
unimportant what the specific aperture/shutter speed arguments are for
a particular exposure except for a few cases.  Generally speaking, it
is more interesting to know what the deviation is from the exposure
which the camera meter recommends.

If one's exposure meter is calibrated (or if one knows just how off
one's meter is) then one can normally reproduce a similar exposure.
Exceptions occur when specific shutter speed numbers (or number
ranges) become important for stopping action (e.g., photographing
stock car racing) or for using creative blur (e.g., using a slow
exposure to render a waterfall beautifully misty).  Similarly, as
Roger pointed out, specific apertures (or aperture ranges) become
important for depth of field concerns.

Other considerations when evaluating photographs are filtration
employed, lighting modifications, emulsion type, focal length, etc.

If you take the time to use a few rolls to explore specific effects
like depth of field, shutter speed blur, lighting modification,
filtration, etc., you will soon be able to evaluate most photos fairly
quickly.  Moderate to thorough experimentation and observation will
remove much of the "mystery" of photographic exposure.

Eventually, you should graduate to the point where you can look at
your own prospective scenes and mentally explore the various options
and techniques you have now added to your creativity repertoire
before you commit the shutter release button the exposure(s) you have
chosen.