[OM] modification for silver oxide battery

Subject: [OM] modification for silver oxide battery
From: "Neil Bell" <neil.bell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 01:03:47 +0000
Mercury batteries have just been banned in the UK, so I'm trying to
convert my OM1n to take silver oxide. I 'phoned Olympus UK and they
surprised me by actually recommending the diode modification, passing
me on to an authorised service centre who do it for £30. They
insisted that recalibration of the meter wasn't necessary, so I
peruaded them to just send me the components (diode and plastic ring
to resize battery) for which they charged me £10 ( I don't know much
about electronics but I can use a soldering iron ). The instructions
given for the mod. a week or two ago in this list seemed to assume
the use of an old type component with two wires, but the thing I've
been sent is a tiny flattish black rectangle, like an integrated
circuit, about 3mm by 1.5mm, with two flat contacts coming out one
side and one contact at the other side. Does anyone know (or can they
deduce) how this should be fitted? Presumably only two of the three
contacts need to be used, but which ones are they and which way round
does the thing go? Is it possible that when I get this thing fitted
it will modify the voltage more accurately than the older type diode,
thus explaining the (supposed) lack of a need for recalibration?

Any advice much appreciated!