Re: [OM] Photography Assignment - Advice Inquiry

Subject: Re: [OM] Photography Assignment - Advice Inquiry
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 16:02:05 EDT
Hi Chip,
        Having been in law enforcement for 24 years and involved in quite a
few
        tactical situations with several agencies, here's my view:
1. Don't dismiss the tower too easily. It would be good to show the overall
deployment, if possible, of 3, 4 or all 8 team members, showing how they
cover   each other as they advance.
2. I suspect the 28mm isn't wide enough for ground level shots. I would think
at least        21mm. The more of the entire "room" you show, the better, IMO.
3. 80-200 may be useless, a 28-85 range zoom would be better.
4. Don't expect too much, or shoot too many frames of the first go around.
Believe         me, you WILL flinch quite a bit especially if more than 1
member opens up at a    time.
5. Think W I D E - try and show from the team member' perspective, show him
and     his target or his area of advance in the same shot, if possible.

6. For your purpose #s 1 and 3 use set-up shots. For "after action" critique,
(#2)    you'll have to go along with what is occurring, no choice. But
purposely set-up        shots are the way to go.
7. Unless they only simulate weapons firing, BE SURE to avoid all weapons'
"business ends"  I've set things on fire inadvertently using shotgun blanks.
Be      advised that even blanks can kill. Just the flame alone extends about
10 feet         from the muzzle.
8. Again, it should get easier as the day goes on and they repeat each drill,
and you         learn what to expect. Start out slowly.
9. It will be very difficult to shoot with the eye and ear protection. You
will not hear the       shutter or winder. You will not sense an end of roll,
etc. You'll have to look at the         camera more, which will distract you.
Everything involved will be a distraction.

        Again, use the first couple of go-arounds as practice, and you will
get some very   good shots as you proceed further, I'm sure.
Good Luck and Have Fun!
--George S.