Re: [OM] Telescope adaptor

Subject: Re: [OM] Telescope adaptor
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 13:30:34 EDT
In a message dated 5/12/99 1:21:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, denton@xxxxxxxx
writes:

> Hi all... I know a lot of folk on the list are astronomers, pro or
>  otherwise, and I know the OM1 is the premiere camera for this. Friend of
>  mine got a telescope and wants to know how to adapt a camera to it. Is it
>  just a tmount? Do all telescopes take the same adaptor?

The telescope adapters I've seen are made up of three pieces. One of these is
a T-adapter. There is a large extension tube with T-threads on each end which
allows you to insert an eyepiece in the light path for increased
magnification. Then there is the third piece which has a T-thread at one end
and the other end inserts into the eyepiece tube on the telescope. The second
piece is only used for eyepiece projection photography.

Most amateur telescopes today accept 1-1/4" diamater eyepieces. Other popular
sizes are 0.965" (typically found on cheaper, low end models) and 2". You
need to get an adapter which matches the telescope's eyepiece size. A good
source for these is Orion. I think they are at www.telescope.com

Hope this helps,

Paul Schings
Coventry, Rhode Island, USA