Re: [OM] Your favourite camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Your favourite camera
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 18:51:15 -0700
>From: "gary edwards" <maitani@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>... maybe I'm cynical, but what a great way to build a big mailing list
>for photographic spam at little or no cost.

The only information a web site gets from you is your IP address. It does
not get a mailbox name. If you're coming in through a dial-up line or
through a firewall, you probably give it a dynamically generated IP
address, for even more anonymimity.

Anything else they get is something you gave them -- perhaps unwittingly.
For example, if you have your browser configured to send your email address
as the password for anonymous ftp (a common practice, born in friendlier
times before spam), they can suck your address out by doing a re-direct to
a dummy ftp protocol URL.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229