Re: [OM] Norwegians in Bergen and a Winder 2-Q, was: Springtime in Texas

Subject: Re: [OM] Norwegians in Bergen and a Winder 2-Q, was: Springtime in Texas
From: Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 19:39:02 +0200
Hi Siri!

You wrote:

> Experienced something weird that night (those nights) - when on auto,
> exposure time was a _lot_ longer when I used the winder rather than manual.
> It could be the batteries, but that doesn't sound right either?

I can tell another strange thing about auto exposures:
It was in Sydney a few years ago, and I had my OM-10 (which I bought in
Brisbane)
- the OM-10 was my first SLR by the way.
Anyway, I did not know much about my OM-10 and I was down at the waterfront at
the botanical garden shooting sunset pictures with the opera house and Harbour
Bridge in front of the sunset colors. I stayed shooting until the colors was
gone
and it was pretty dark, then I moved a little as I intended to shoot the Harbour
Bridge, the Opera House and parts of North Sydney all in beautiful colors of the
night city lights.
As I was shooting, I had no manual adapter (I knew that much ;-) ) and I had no
idea at all what kind of shutter speed to use, so auto exposure was the only
option for me. Also, I had no tripod so I had to put the camera on a pole (or on
a small wall, can't remember) just by the water, and use the self timer. Now
comes the strange thing: I took three shots (as it really was a test how to use
the camera in low light conditions) and I measured the exposure time for each
shot. The last but one was around 15-20 seconds (can't remember exactly which)
and the last one was *25 seconds*! Now, how can *that* be for an OM-10? Every
info says 2 seconds in auto mode.

Just for the record: the shots came out great!

--
Regards/
  Ingemar Uvhagen