Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders :Final Word(?)

Subject: Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders :Final Word(?)
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 22:16:49 -0500
At 09:48 PM 5/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Here's how to settle the question of whether shutter-induced vibration is
the culprit in
>the apparant poor performance of the 200/4.  Shoot the test using open
flash in a dark
>room.  Since you opened the shutter prior to the flash (using bulb setting
and a locking
>cable release), there will be no camera movement (don't tap your feet
while shooting!).
>If the results are still soft, it's the lens.  If it's sharp, it's
camera/lens
>resonance.

Hi Gary,

I've made some sharp pictures recently with flash and the 200/f4 -- not on
B in a darkroom, but with conventional flash sync'ed at 1/60. I don't think
your suggested set up is necessary, but I don't have the facilities anyway
(so I hope I'm right about that).

I think the 200/f4 may require some extra support to perform up to its full
capability. But with flash, no problem as long as one has a good lock on
focus.

Joel