Re: [OM] Customs: A Tale of Two Cities

Subject: Re: [OM] Customs: A Tale of Two Cities
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 10:35:08 -0700
At 10:03 PM 5/6/99 EDT, you wrote:
>>whether visits are for
>>business or pleasure, and whether we are carrying anything of significant
>value. Canada does not have a monopoly on diligent customs' officers!
>

>You are quite right and I did not intend this little story as putting down
>Canada. It was intended as an example of the many incongruities one can find
>from country to country. And how one can be surprised by finding the
opposite
>of what may be anticipated.
>Harry

Canadian Customs well deserves the putdown. I am a Canadian and every time
I return to this country Customs acts like the imperious little people they
are. On one recent occasion I returned by air from Spokane, cleared at the
booth but then was stopped by an agent on the way to the exit. Demanding to
see the customs card for my OM-1. As the trip had been rushed I hadn't gone
down to preclear my camera so carried the original bill of sale ( with
serial nos). I was informed that if he wanted he could seize the camera as
the bill of sale was not "acceptable". Not wanting a confrontation I did
the sweet smiley, smiley and after enduring his lecture left with my
camera. This is but one of many "horror" stories with Canadian Customs that
I have personally experienced. I think they take a special course on how to
be ignorant -- especially to returning Canadians.
Barry