Re: [OM] IS-30 First Rolls Of Film

Subject: Re: [OM] IS-30 First Rolls Of Film
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 08:51:48 -0700
Scott;

My opinion, based on info here: The shooter says he used spot metering
as a solution.  Well, spot metering can be part of the problem if you
don't use it carefully, as I found out when learning to use my 4T many
moons ago.

I'd bet that he's spot metering on something real dark, which will cause
the camera to overexpose trying to bring that spot up to middle grey.
You'll definitely get a washout in this case.  Perhaps he should test
under simlar circumstances by shooting in all modes the IS-30 has
(whatever they are) while keeping careful notes. Try not to get any
flare in the lens. Then, spot meter on various areas of obviously
different brightness and again keep notes.  Try same thing w/out back
lighting.

Fill flash is certainly a good solution for people or objects near to
the lens and backlit. The IS cameras excel in this regard

If he doesn't find a reasonable way to get proper exposures under
backlit conditions, I'd return the camera.

George