[OM] IS-30 First Rolls Of Film

Subject: [OM] IS-30 First Rolls Of Film
From: Scott Peterkin <martlet@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 22:30:04 -0400
I have been asked by someone off-line to post this question. As I too
own an IS camera I was very curious about the possible answers to
these problems. Can anyone help?

BTW - thanks to all for the IS-1,IS-2,IS-3,IS-10,IS-20,IS-30 posts.
Over the last year  as I read these posts I yearned for one of these
cameras..

(Hello Olympus - Are You Listening???)

This spring I ordered and IS-3 from Olympus via John H. (www.zuiko.com).

My appreciation of the camera grows with each use!

TIA

Scott

-----------------
start of message
-----------------

I "...bought an IS-30 recently.  I just got back the first roll of
slides taken with it.
There were mixed results.  The one area I consistently had really bad
luck with
was those shots taken where the subject was heavily back lit by the
sun.  Those
shots were terrible--totally washed out and very over-exposed.  I
thought I'd tried
spot metering as a solution, but there is either a problem with what I
did or with the
camera itself."

"This was a roll of slide film that I was using.  As I understand it, in
slide film
over-exposure is the opposite of what it would be in print film.
Therefore, washed
out slides are considered over-exposed whereas the problem would be
called
under-exposure in prints. The problem seems to have happened when taking
pictures
later in the day when the sun is at a lower angle. While not shooting
directly into the
sun, it was definitely a backlighting issue.  Subjects, near or far,
were totally washed
out as was the background."

"I called Olympus customer service and they were of no help at all.  In
the first place,
they hadn't even seen this camera yet.  They suggested fill flash as an
answer, but I
don't know how that would help with scenes such as landscapes that are
out of the
range of a flash."
-----
end of message