Re: [OM] OT: Customs Duties

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Customs Duties
From: "John Hudson" <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 12:07:28 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Marco Tomat <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, May 05, 1999 11:51 AM
Subject: R: [OM] OT: Customs Duties

>>  The second way, which I'm hardly
>> familiar with but which seems to work too, is to have it sent with the
>> regular value declaration, but with the addendum "purchased as a gift".
>
>I have experience with USA to Italy items. The seller must check whether
the
>item is a "sample", "gift" or "merchandise". That has not much influence on
>Italian Customs, I think. Besides this, the sender must declare a "value".
>>
>> Also, according to Dutch customs, items will only be taxed if they're
>> shipped in from out of the EU. I'm expecting a parcel full of lots of
>> goodies from Germany, so I hope this info is correct :)
>
>In Ialy I got something from Cumbria and Utrecht ;-) and I had to pay no
>taxes. Customs were not involved at all.

Isn't the European Union supposed to be one great big nation as far as
customs and import duties are concerned? Goods, services, people, etc move
in and out of individual countries and that there are no import and export
taxes, duties, etc. When I was in the UK last fall I heard it mentioned that
duty free shops in EU countries' airports were to be done away with because
the savings of duties on purchases during inter EU travel was anathema to
the whole idea of union.

jh