[OM] OT: Customs Duties

Subject: [OM] OT: Customs Duties
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 12:15:12 -0400
I have to make a confession.  I have expanded my photo gear in the medium
format.

While in Tokyo, I purchased a used Mamiya 6 with two lenses. One came with the
body and the other is a telephoto I purchased separately.

The Mamiya 6 is a rangefinder and it only has a total of three lenses.  I have
had the standard and the telephoto.  The third is the wide angle 50mm which I
received today from Japan.
This also is a used lens I purchased from the store where I purchased the body
and the standard lens and had my brother pick up the lens and mail it to me by
the International Express Mail Service with proper insurance.

The US Customs opened the package and passed it free.  The purchase price of the
lens was 52,000yen, which is roughly $433.  I understand that in the US a person
can receive automatically any goods up to $100 per day customs free from
overseas.

Does anyone have an explanation for this customs free treatment?  Is it because
the lens is used?  My brother did not identify the lens as used, but while the
lens looks really good overall, it has a few brassing marks on the metal rim
above the mounting ring, which makes it obvious to the inspector that it is a
used lens.

Perhaps there are others who can tell us about their experience with the
US/other countries Customs with respect to photo equipment.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/