[OM] OM vs Leica vs Zeiss--focal length by focal length???

Subject: [OM] OM vs Leica vs Zeiss--focal length by focal length???
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 12:59:17 EDT
Hi Folks,

    In recent weeks there was a considerable (and probably recurring) theme
of Olympus optics versus those of the vauted German names. However, most of
the statements from people who owned more than one system seemed a little
vague to me. I personnaly would prefer a focal length by focal length
comparison of only the "BEST" of the OM line versus recent versions of Leica
or Zeiss. In particular the following would interest me a great deal:

        1) The 21mmF3.5 Zuiko MC versus the 21F2.8 Contax G Biogon.

                   Within the OM community the 21F3.5 is highy regarded and my
                   favorite OM wide at the moment. But I am very interested
in how
                   this lens fares against what is considered one of the
best--
                   the Zeiss 21F2.8 G.

         2) The 28F2.0 Zuiko MC versus the current 28F2.8 M or G lenses, or
the
              Contax SLR 28s.

                   I have never owned OM28F2.0, so I can offer no comments
other
                   than saying I plan to get one based on list comments and
Gary's
                   tests.

          3) The OM 40F2.0mm Zuiko MC versus the Minolta 40F2.0 CL lens and
               the 40F2.8 Zeiss Sonar on the Rollei35SE

                   I have the later camera and it superb, beating out a Zeiss
35F2.8 SLR
                   lens.

           4) The 50F2.0 macro has already been extensively compared to such
as the
               50 Summicron and found to be comparable be people in and
outside the
               list, so we can skip this length.

           5) The OM 100F2.0 and 90F2.0 leneses versus the 80 to 100mm German
label
               lenses.

                       This is the most interesting match-up since I regard
this as the heart
                        of any lens line.

Alex