RE: [OM] Fixing banged up filter threads.

Subject: RE: [OM] Fixing banged up filter threads.
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 12:56:58 +0200
Hi,

>I have several newly bought lenses with dented filter threads. The rim has
been
>dented in. I was thinking of pounding them out with a soft wood stick (to
>preserve the threads) and a hammer.
>Is there a better way?

I have successfully used the following approach when I had to remove the
dent from the filter ring of my 300mm lens:

In order to cure the problem, you will need to evenly "open up" the grooves
again, so what "tool" to use? Right, another filter with the same size.
Depending on how severe the dents are this manner will provide a good
approach, if necessary in conjunction with some of the other recommended
methods. Try to see how far you get with screwing in the filter, eventually
it will get stuck, screw the filter a bit back again, and screw against the
dent with more force. You will be amazed at how much of the damage can be
undone by repeating this process over and over again. Of course if the dent
is too severe, you will first need to roughly open it up again with some
tool, and then use the above method to evenly straighten out the grooves
again.

As an alternative approach you can use the "lens info ring" (i.e. the ring
with stuff like: "Olympus Zuiko xx MM Fx"), this also has the correct filter
thread size and can be used working "bottom-up" instead of "top-down". Be
sure to try this as a last method though, because by unscrewing the lens
info ring, effectively you're unsecuring the first element (which will
probably not drop, but you never know). Also, if you don't have a spanner
you might risk shooting out over the lens surface with a screwdriver, which
of course would create far severe damage to the lens than the absence of a
filter could ever cause. Use this method only if you're really stuck,
desparate to get the dent out and comfortable with this approach!

Using something with the same thread size, in conjunction with other tools,
should work...

Success!
Olaf