RE: [OM] OT: Internet Image copyrights

Subject: RE: [OM] OT: Internet Image copyrights
From: "Chip Stratton" <cstrat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 15:39:59 -0500
Cc: <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I apologize for this off-topic pet peeve.  I wish there was a way to
> track the use of one's images on the web.  (If I was an unethical web
> page designer I would make my first raid on The Unofficial Olympus
> Gallery!)

Actually, there is a pretty good way to track your images. There are methods
of "watermarking" digital images, whereby text information (say your name
etc.) of your choosing is embedded into the image. This information can be
recovered with the appropriate software. You can choose the amount of
resistance to photediting this information has, with higher levels of
durability having more of an effect on the quality of the image. At lower
levels, my eyes can't tell any difference between a virgin and a watermarked
image.

I have a copy of Cerious Software's "Thumbs Plus 4.0" which has Digimarc
watermarking and reading capabilities built in - you can check it out at:
http://www.thumbsplus.com/
This is really nice image management software, by the way.

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx