[OM] Vision Age; fungus and the Sun; symmetrical lenses

Subject: [OM] Vision Age; fungus and the Sun; symmetrical lenses
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 05:11:24 -0700
My Vision Age set arrived Saturday (though I wasn't able to pick it up 'til
Monday afternoon). Very, very nice. Although Nikon World placed more emphasis on
the photos, often reproducing them full-page, I like the broader range of
articles in VA.

Issues 5 and 6 explain Super FP flash and multi-spot metering far better than
the instruction manuals. The piece on multi-spot is especially good in showing
how to use it to pre-determine the final appearance of a transparency (though
I'm not as sanguine in believing that you can use multi-spot metering without
first experimenting with specific films).

I'd like to thank everyone who volunteered their time (and money) so the rest of
us could enjoy VA. I'd also like to really thank whoever it was who decided to
print too many issues (not to mention the person who decided not to throw them
away!) so the rest of us could be enjoying VA 15 years after it was first
published.

And a big raspberry to Ponder & Best (or Olympus USA, whichever) who never
bothered to notify US Olympus owners about the magazine.

I'm not sure that all glass blocks UV. Otherwise, what would be the point of UV
filters (other than selling an "unnecessary" accessory?). So I see no harm in
aiming the lens directly at the Sun.

But I can think of some caveats. First, open the aperture all the way so that
the light cannot directly warm it. You don't want to do anything that could
cause oil leakage or migration.

Second, it doesn't do any good to drive out moisture, then have it re-enter when
the air cools and the lens sucks it back in. Between "sunbaths" you should put
the lens in a tightly sealed bag with a big pack of fresh silica gel desiccant.

Finally, just killing the fungus won't necessarily cause it to disappear. You'd
probably still need to open and clean the lens.

Treating all the surfaces in your house with a fungicide will do little to help
your lens, because the spores are floating everywhere.

Zuiko, Zuiko burning bright --
Long exposures in the night.
Could mere mortal hand or eye
Frame thy wondrous symmetry?

Actually, most (if not all) Zuiko lenses are asymmetrical designs.