[OM] RE: oly-digest V2 #877 - 85/f2.0 vs 100/f2.8

Subject: [OM] RE: oly-digest V2 #877 - 85/f2.0 vs 100/f2.8
From: "Chung, Stephen" <ChungS1@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 02:31:46 -0400
Peter G. of Melbourne Australia wrote:-
 >Now here is my question - will the 100/f2.8 do kids portraits
 >as good as my 85/f2?  I know there was a discussion about 100
 >vs 85 around Sept last year on this this list, but I have to
 >decide in the next few days whether to purchase (its currently
 >being held for me). Any comments to help me decide are most welcome.

Hi Peter,

        I've owned both the 35F2 and a 100F2.8 SC and was very happy with
them.  I've yet to have the pleasure of owning the 85F2, but do own a
Vivitar S1 35-85F2.8 which, around the 85MM end, is good for full/half
length kid portraits. The 100F2.8 ruled the head and shoulders territory at
least in the small confines of my lounge room, that is.

        On paper, the 15mm extra reach of the 100 would seem to be not that
significant, and yet I have found situations where the choice was clear
between using 85mm and 100mm focal length.  85mm in the case of the full
length portrait in confined spaces.  100mm in the case were I wanted a touch
tighter framing of animals at the Zoo where barriers prevent one from moving
closer.  Every so often I entertain thoughts of adding a quality 70ish to
210ish F2.8 zoom to the cupboard, however with the associated size, weight,
cost and lack of choice in OM mount, it has yet to happen.

         One other thing regarding the 100F2.8 - give it enough separation
between subject and background, crank it to F2.8, and you'll get a lovely
out of focus background where the kids will simply leap out of the picture
frame atcha!  No doubt the 85F2 can do likewise.  I hope this gives you some
ammunition in deciding on your 100F2.8.

Regards
S.C.
Also of Melbourne, Australia