Re: [OM] Few more macro questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Few more macro questions
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:22:02 -0400
Martin Kos <Martin.Kos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> asked:

>I am completely persuated - I decided to start with 50/3.5 Macro if I find
>nice one. But I have more questions.

Ahhhhhh!  Budding Zuikoholism blossoms into full bloom :)

>1) is it worthwile to change my normal focusing screen 1-13 for one
>without the split microprism (1-4)?

A bright screen is helpful, a bit more so with the 3.5 Macro.  Olympus
recommends the 1-11  and 1-12 screens (cross hair matte and cross hair clear
respectively) for close-up, macro and photomicrography applications
according to my OM-2 instruction manual (0179).  I also use a Beattie
Intenscreen (plain grid) just to help brighten the finder some.  I find the
split microprism just gets in the way, even with my tired old and failing
eyes.

>2) I intend to buy a flash too. I would like to use it not only for macro
>but also for indoor photographs (and possibly fill-in too). I was thinking
>about F280 but is it suitable for both purposes? What about just T20 or
>quite strong T32? (I am not going to buy ring flash, because I read in
>John Shaw's Close-ups in Nature that it gives light without any
>shadows.... which is unnatural and I agree with him).

Any of the above flashes are quite suitable with the appropriate cords,
connectors and means to securely mount and aim in the tight quarters macro
work often imposes.  Be creative.  Reflective cards, with a selection of
different surfaces (glossy white, crumpled aluminium foil, etc) for
different effects, are indispensible for bouncing a little extra light into
a deep shadow or blocking a pecky bright spot.  I don't fully agree that a
ring light is not useful.  Virtually any cloudy day is shadowless.  Seems
quite natural to me :)  Ring flash is quite specialized, but certainly has
its place in one's tool kit.

>3) and finally last question not really in conjunction with macro.
>Somebody in the list mentioned the Camera grip for better holding the
>camera. Have you any experience with it and if yes than how? Is it a good
>investment?

IMHO, a more useful investment (is any of this really an investment, or just
a carefully rationalized expense <g> ??) is a rock solid tripod and a
focusing rail.  At 1:1, hand holding is more luck than skill.  I almost
always use a tripod for macro, even on bright days or when using flash.  I
also use a winder and a remote release (cobbled together with radio shack
parts) to eliminate moving the setup when advancing the film.

John P