Re: [OM] MACRO WORK

Subject: Re: [OM] MACRO WORK
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 23:46:04 -0400
Well Frank, I'm willing to guess you'll get a fair bit of feedback on this,
but I'll take a stab at some of your questions.  Your OM bodies will retain
meter coupling with extension tubes.  There are two models or extension
tubes, auto and manual.  The older manual tubes require stop-down metering
whereas the newer auto extension tubes allow wide open composition and stop
down only when the shutter is fired.  Both work well.  The telescoping
auto-tube is a very clever invention, allowing variable extension between 65
and 116 mm (I think).  Great for field work when a bellows may be a bit too
fragile.

For small stuff outdoors, working distance is important.  A telescoping auto
tube and a 85-135mm telephoto lens will give you some good results,
especially on non-flat subject matter.  As for copying a small X-ray image,
flatness of field gets very critical and takes you to needing a true macro
lens.

The progression I took was step by step.  First were close up lenses,
followed by extension rings.  Then I got a revering ring and played with
that.  Then I got a 50mm macro lens, and have never looked back.  I now have
all the Oly macro lenses and flash units.  Love the twin T-28 and the T-8
ring flash.

Hope this helps some.
John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"