Re: [OM] Olympus items for sale....

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus items for sale....
From: Sean Chan <sean@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:57:33 +0800 (WST)
> >This post poses an interesting point: If someone has a NEW (that is,
> >unused) camera or lens for sale, and someone tries it for two weeks,
> >but then returns it for some subjective reason, is the item still
> >NEW? Or is it used (mint).
> >Dealers or camera stores build a profit into their sales, and, if an
> >item is returned, can have it repackaged and sold as new (ever buy a
> >brand new item and notice that it is "not quite right". . .in some
> >way?? I have, and have asked for another example. . .)
> >Just curious.
> >sam alexander
> Well, interesting points you raise there, for sure. I'd like to
> know the answers too :-)

I think it really depends on the dealers. If they have a return no-
questions-asked policy, then I'm sure they'd repackage and sell for
new.

OTOH, if they have no such policy, then you'd be hard pressed trying to
get them to "buy it back from you" at sold price. At least that's how
it's like in Perth. And just as aside, if I had used the item for 1-2
weeks and it breaks down, I'd have to sell my soul to get them to do an
exchange. The first and only option is "repair under warranty".

Talking about such things, say you have a brand new model and there's
only one in the display. Do you expect to buy that at "demo" price or
"new" price?? Let's just say you *know* it's been used by the store
owners for at least 1 to 2 rolls?? That's exactly what happened to me
with my EOS-3. There was only one in the shop window and they were even
showing me photos they took of the city to show "how good it was".  I
was desperate for it then so I didn't bother arguing...

Sean
--
Sean H.Y. Chan  ICQ# 28162308    sean@xxxxxxxxxx
IT Consultant        http://www.tsm.com.au/~sean