[OM] funky IS-10, redux

Subject: [OM] funky IS-10, redux
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:58:49 -0700
"They may be taking you, but then again, $35 to $40 an hour is the going rate
for a competent electro-mechanical technician at commercial operations in my
area. Labor alone would be about four hours for $150."

The problem is that the technician doesn't make anywhere _near_ that much money.
If the tech sees more than $40 from a $150 repair, I'd be surprised. Most
companies run their repair departments as a source of Le Bigge Profittes, rather
than than on a break-even basis. It doesn't bother them that they are profiting
twice, and the second profit is the result of the owner's bad fortune. And at
the risk of sounding nasty, I don't believe Olympus's techs are "competent."

I don't believe it takes four hours to "overhaul" an IS-10. The woman I spoke
with reminded me (in the context of explaining why they hadn't dismantled the
camera) that _many_ cameras come in each day for service. A technician can't
spend half a day on a single camera. The repair and overhaul processes for
specific camera models are well-defined, and technicians know what they're
doing. If it takes two hours (which is actually a long time) to overhaul an
IS-10, I'd be surprised.

"This past January 1 was faced with a OM1 problem in Ft. Myers, FL, a flopping
mirror after a two-foot fall to a wooden floor. An independent operation (Mark
Vonder @ King's Pawn, phone 941.277.9199) repaired my camera for $85 on a
24-hour turn around."

I think you got a good deal. And at least Mr. Vonder -- not a corporation --
pocketed the money.

"At my work, my team is haggling with Sony over a digital camera (uses a
3.5-inch floppy disk) that has an erratic shutter button. It's still in
warranty, but they're balking at fixing this intermittent problem free, they
want $99. They also are balking at providing a swap for a new unit."

Typical Sony. Some years ago a Sony CD player failed two days after their 90-day
"warranty" expired, and they would _not_ accommodate me. When the same player
later failed a second time due to a generically faulty component, I had to
(literally) blackmail them to replace it with a new unit. I didn't like doing
it, but the law was on my side, and I had no other choice (other than getting a
lawyer).

I _will_ say that when Olympus failed to fix my OM-4T after three tries, Eric
agreed to replace the body. And I didn't have to beat him over the head to get
him to do it. (Eric is no longer with Olympus. <sigh> I suspect someone else
might not have been so accommodating.)