Re: [OM] OM-4 or 4t

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4 or 4t
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:06:50 EDT
Per writes:

>  . .  . couldn't gaskets for OM-4/T/Ti be installed in
>  an OM-2S body to make it weatherproof? I always thought also that it
>  was only the latest OM-4T/Ti that was weatherproof, not the older
>  OM-4.

Interesting idea.  I'll have my local repairman look into the situation and
maybe sneak in a gasket or two.  From what I recall reading in the
advertising hype over the years: the OM-4Ti was claimed to have better seals
than the OM-4/OM-3/OM-2S family vs. the OM-1 & 1n/2 & 2n family.  It was a
characteristic I followed closely given my field use in at or near 100%
relative humidity climates.  But I sure can't locate where I read about that.
 Maybe it was discussed in a camera magazine review.

I'm of the opinion this was just advertising hype, though.  If one changes a
lens in high humidity, the throat of the camera is open game to humidity.
And nothing could be worse then jumping out of an air conditioned car into
the morning dew of a midwestern US summer day, changing the lens and seeing
the mirror fog up!  Great way to loose a shot.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV