RE: [OM] Any scuba divers on the list?

Subject: RE: [OM] Any scuba divers on the list?
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 21:18:19 -0500
Josh,

Lessee now.  Here's a checklist of mine --

Replace all o-rings, even if they look good.

Housing underwater @ the max depth you're gonna hit if you can -- without
camera.  At least the 1st time you use the housing.

VERY lightly talc the rubber -- it'll keep it from sticking to itself &
housing and starting leeeetle tiny tears in the rubber

Sea Drops or spit on the glass/plastic in front of the lens.  While the
camera isn't creating heat like your face in a mask does, spending enough
time at one temp/depth to equalize the housing interior temp with the water
temp and then moving to a different depth/temp can fog it up.  Nice for
soft focus portraits, but somehow that effect doesn't look good on a blue
tang...

Check your computer (if you have one) or your watch (if you use dive
tables) to ensure you're not exceeding your limits depth-wise or time-wise.
 While I'm sure your pics will look great even post-mortem, I'd rather keep
you around to pay for the processing.  <g>

If the housing + camera has any positive buoyancy at all, one hand on the
shutter release and one on TOP of the camera rather than underneath.  This
will help stability a bunch.

Lots of flash + high guide numbers = smaller apertures and sharper shots
and a wider coverage area.  Remember that unless you're diving somewhere
like Cozumel where the viz is 300 yds, the water is gonna
reflect/scatter/mess up your exposure -- do what you can to use the OM OTF
feature -- the sensors on the flash are useless in murky water.

Have lots of fun!

Dave