Re: [OM] Vivitar 75-260 f4.5 zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 75-260 f4.5 zoom
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 17:22:29 EDT
John writes:

> I have had this lens [s/n 3702xxx] since the mid 1970s. It is fitted with a
>  mount for Nikkormat FT, weighs 1.25 kg, and has not been used for years.
The
>  glass shows no signs of damage or deterioration.
>
>  Does anyone have any experience with this lens and could opine on whether
it
>  might be worth having it fitted with an Olympus mount or whether I should
>  consider a new more up to date lens of similar specifications?

I'm in the process of testing that lens now, albeit as a Hoya (original
manufacturer) rather than Vivitar (OEM).  I've only shot it at 75mm.  The
longer focal lengths will be done this evening.  The results seem fine at
75mm, but I haven't done the SQF evaluation, yet.  One big minus for this
lens is that it is long and front heavy.  On my tripod head I find that I
have to rest the aperture ring on the rubber platform in order to get some
balance and stability out of it.  Without doing that it vibrates like mad.
But, one can't change the aperture once it's mounted that way.  Yuck.

Wait a few days and I'll have a comparison to the 85-250mm f/5 Zuiko.  I love
the balance of the latter on the tripod when using the tripod collar.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV