[OM] OM-2S vs OM4/4T

Subject: [OM] OM-2S vs OM4/4T
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 06:46:23 -0700
The question of whether you should get a 2S or a 4/4T is one only you can
answer. If all you want is automatic exposure and the 4/4T's extra bells and
whistles aren't important, I'd go with the 2S. (You can spend the price
difference on a lens or two.) But you have to decide what's important to you.

As for the 4 versus the 4T... The 4 (and even 4Ts manufactured seven or eight
years ago) often had electrical problems that Olympus could not fix. After three
failed (and, I might add, generally incompetent) attempts to repair my 4T,
Olympus USA was forced to replace it. The replacement has worked flawlessly for
five years.

I would be _very_ cautious about buying a 4, and almost as cautious about buying
a used 4T. Because the electrical problems are well-known and well-documented,
you have every right to insist on extended return privileges and a generous
warranty.