RE: [OM] Minimum Studio set up

Subject: RE: [OM] Minimum Studio set up
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:25:56 -0500 (EST)

> Jan wrote:
>
> > I was asked to photograph some custom made furniture for a
> > friends sales
> > catalog.  What would be a good minimum studio light or flash set-up
> > (portable) for this purpose?  Will I need those white umbrellas?

  First, try to get a very, very clear idea from your client/friend
as to exactly what he wants. I would not go with flash unless you
have a Polaroid back and a lot of experience behind you. Furniture is
rather large, and you might need a lot of light to cover enough
DOF & suitable f/stop. Photo floods will enable you to WYSIWYG. Depending
on your studio (or location) you may be able to successfully bounce the
lights to simulate room light, but don't plan on it. One of the advantages
of working for a friend is that you can test out your lighting before
doing the actual shoot.
  As someone else suggested, bracket carefully in 1/3rd stop increments.
Studying former catalogs might be a good idea, just to see what they
have used in the past...

                                   *= Doris Fang =*