Re: [OM] Irrationality Rationalized

Subject: Re: [OM] Irrationality Rationalized
From: "George M." <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 08:25:27 -0800
kelton;

I ran a few tests that may interest you.  Previous msg is edited and
copied here.

George M.

I tested several lenses for wide-open sharpness/lack of distortion
using a star field as the test subject.  The star field for most tests
contained the very bright object, Jupiter, as well as more modest
magnitude stars.

Results: (Blank is did not test)   All lenses MC unless noted.
                   Wide Open                        One stop down
21/2 -           Some Coma                            Good
21/3.5-(SC)      Slight Coma
28/2 -Slight Coma and very slight blue fringing       Good
35/2 -           Some Coma                            Good
50/1.2 -        Coma
50/1.4 -        Coma,slight blue fringe             Good
50/2 macro -    Good
85/2 - (SC)     Some blue fringing
90/2 macro -    Good.
100/2 -         Slight coma

The 50/2 and 90/2 were the only lenses that proved sharp and
distortion-free when used wide open.The 50/2 macro wide open was
slightly better than the 50/1.4 at F/2. The distortive effects were gone
for all practical purposes on all lenses when closed down one stop.

The 21/3.5 was much better than the 21/2 wide open.  However, the 21/2
at F/2.8 was better that the 21/3.5 at F/3.5.

The worst coma was exhibited by the 50/1.2 and 50/1.4

The blue fringing, of course, is chromatic aberation.  I was less
surprised to see it on the SC 85/2 than on the MC 28/2.

The coma was seen mainly on the very bright objects - Jupiter and a
bright star of magnitude 1 or so.  Lesser magnitude objects showed no
visible coma (thru an 8x loupe.)

That's it. Hope this is useful. .