Re: [OM] Bought OM-3 - how does it work?

Subject: Re: [OM] Bought OM-3 - how does it work?
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 19:14:45 +0100
Cc: <infoanim@xxxxxx>
:Help!
:I just bought an OM-3, used. It came without a booklet.

You can get manuals from Olympus.

:How do I choose between auto and match exposure?

Oooops. The OM-3 is, like the OM-1 an all-mechanical camera. No auto mode.
Its sister camera, the OM-4, has an aperture preferred auto mode.

:How do I choose hi-lite or shadow? - and any other details.

Normally you take spot readings (up to eight) at subjects that render to
neutral grey. But you can also take a spot reading from a pure white subject
(snow!), and press the hilight button to translate it to a grey value
reading. Ot spot meter from pure black and press the shadow button. This
prevents whites or blacks being rendered to grey.

:What is the button next to the shutter ring?
Viewfinder illuminator.

That's about it. On the left side of the lens mount you'll find a PC flash
connector and a T flash cord connector. A T flash gives you only a flash
ready/Normal flash ok light in the viewfinder. No TTL flash support (but the
OM-3Ti does). The switch on the film rewind spool is to turn off the beeper.
You'll find the techspecs of all OM-bodies on my site
 http://www.veluwen.demon.nl/om-sif.htm ).

The OM-3 is a great camera! Only drawback is, like the original OM-4, the
battery drain. Remove the batteries every day or else it's battery-finito
after three months. Oh well, at least it doesn't need batteries to shoot.

Hans