Re: R: [OM] MC and SC Zuiko lenses

Subject: Re: R: [OM] MC and SC Zuiko lenses
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 15:17:49 +0100
Marco Tomat wrote:

> Someone must tell that to Gary, then.

The catch is, that Gary has to make enormes efforts to find out
differences between lenses (rigid fixing of lens and body, film, light,
etc.).
But do you use always the most rigid tripod while photographing? Do you
always use the film with finest grain and best sharpness? I do not and
when taking pictures under available dark conditions I´m happy that that
the pics don´t get to blured due to handshake at slow shutter speeds. So
it doesn´t matter if the 50mm/1.4 is a much "worse" design than the
50mm/2.0, because the gain of one full stop improves picture quality, in
this situation, much more than an "superior" lens. The 50mm/1.0 Noctilux
is according to Leitz there worst 50mm lens, but it is much "faster"
than all the other, this more than compensates the "inferior" image
quality of the lens. This might be extreme examples, but they are still
valid, to an lesser degree, for more ordinary, casual situations.

> I agree with you the proof of the lens is taking real-life shots,

Most people do not compare under this conditions, after being
disapointed with one lens. I found my little home made test revealing,
comparing an MC to an SC 50mm lens with only insignificant differences.
So, before I have made pictures under similar conditions, I´ll be very
carefully to declare one lens inferior to the other based only on an
technical detail as coating. Someone is to easy fouled by an extrem
lightning situation.

> but if we
> have to *compare* lenses there is no room left from determining a standard
> target.

Agreed, but someone has to be aware what was measured. The 35mm shift
has an relativly strong curved field of view at minimum focusing
distances. This has an enormous impact in reproducing flat objects, but
doesn´t mind much with three dimensional objects or objects in infinty
distance (like big buildings).
Same problem occures with fisheye lens test. Do they realy test the lens
with an apropiate test target, which has to be a semi sphere? Or did
they simply try to use the same test object they use with lenses of
differnt projecting style?

Regards

Richard