Re: [OM] Auto Exposure Times & The Ideal Meteor Catcher

Subject: Re: [OM] Auto Exposure Times & The Ideal Meteor Catcher
From: mstoesz@xxxxxxxxxxx (Michael Stoesz)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:37:09 -0700
Kelton asked?

>Oh, one other question -- I've been looking for a good Zuiko to use for
>meteor showers.
 But my question is, what would be the ideal Zuiko for this purpose?
>It seems it would be a balance of speed, angle of view/image size, and
>image quality. (For my taste, the 50mm lenses see too small a patch of
>sky and some of mine really stink at the corners of the frame, when you
>leave them wide open.) I have already ruled out the 24mm f/2 because of
>image quality. I'm leaning toward the 35/2 for this purpose; it seems to
>perform about as well as any, wide open, based on Gary Reese's tests, but
>I'd like to hear experiences with the 28/2, if there are any.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Kelton

Here is what I have been using for meteor photography:

Olympus 35SPn w/42mmf1.7, (the rest is probably a sacriledge) Yashica Lynx
14 (2) with 45mmf/1.4, Canon G-III w/40mmf1/7.

I cover a wide area of sky by mounting 4 cameras on a 24 in board mounted
on a tripod. Two of the cameras are mounted on small ball heads.  To cover
a wide area of sky, the cameras are oriented at approx. 20 degree angles
from each other on the vertical and horizonatal axis.

Best Wishes, Mike

Mike Stoesz, VP
Rainbow Photography Inc.
213 Grand Av.